Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 5, 2013

Nehemiah's (Tender) Care for the People

Nehemiah 5:1-19
Observations.
The situation is critical. People have no money and grain, they have no means acquire the food they need. They have given out their vineyards and fields as surety, or say auctioned their property and even themselves to their fellow jews as slaves. Now they are under the control of the rich! The society is so unequal. See this, “We are helpless because our fields and vineyards have been taken away from us.”  On the other hand, the rich leaders have this mindset, “Possibly by farming on the acquired farms, we produce more and keep the rest of the people as our slaves, feed them”-That is power. God does not like that. Luke 12:14-21. Mercy means I help the poor and assist them to produce for themselves.
Angry Nehemiah-He has a sense of justice and fairness. He reminds me of Professor Aseka of ILU. These verses stand out for me; “I grew angry and decided to act” “I called a public assembly to deal with the problem.” Nehemiah is leading from the core of his heart. He denounces the leaders for oppressing the poor and taking advantage of their status. “You ought to obey God and do what is right.” Vs 9.
Self sacrificing Nehemiah- he leads in cancelling the debts and calls on the rest of the leaders to give up their claims from their relatives, and give back their fields and vineyards. The leaders follow suit.
A different leader- Nehemiah, though entitled to a certain status and privileges as the governor of Judah for 12 years, he forfeits it.  He chose to keep the interests of the people at heart. See this, “For the 12 years I was governor in Judah… neither my relatives nor I at the food I was entitled to have as governor… I acted differently because I honored God. I put all my energy into rebuilding the wall and did not acquire any property… I knew what the heavy burdens the people had to bear, and so I did not claim the allowance that the governor is entitled to.” Vs 14-18. His identity, security and significance was settled. It was not in the stuff he could amass. (Luke 12:14-15 for a person’s life is not in the things he owns, no matter how rich he may be” Jesus Said). He cared for the people.

Prayer of favor- “I pray you, O God, remember to my credit everything that I have done for this people.”
Lessons:
1.       The fear of God will make me lead in a different way.
2.       My identity is not in things and stuff.
3.       God rewards such leaders who serve the people with a selfless heart.
Application:
I will share this with my friends in the afternoon in GCTC class as an illustration of simplicity. Upload on my blog, and share some statements on facebook and Twitter.

Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment